Student CareDental, Weather Policy, Suncare, OSHC, Medical
Hot Weather Policy
DECD Policy regarding HOT WEATHER states –
- School cannot be closed for the day
- School may not close earlier than 1 hour before the normal time
- In the event of early closure, schools that share buses must agree
- Parents must be informed in advance
Our school does not have a take-home policy, as all buildings are air-conditioned.
Students are required to wear a broad brimmed or bucket style hat outdoors during school hours. This is enforced in Terms 1 and 4.
Students not wearing an appropriate hat during the sun safety months use a designated shade area. Sunscreen lotion is available for student use. PLEASE NOTE that baseball style hats are NOT considered sunsafe and will not be accepted.
It is preferred that hats be plain navy blue and free of logos or advertising.
Wet Weather Policy
If the weather is inappropriate for outdoor activities, students are supervised indoors.
Inclement weather may also affect after-school sporting opportunities. If the school is notified of cancellations to after-school sport, we will inform students and give them the opportunity to call their parents.
The Dental Clinic (on site) provides a service to our students through regular check-ups. It is located next to the main building and can be contacted on 87622614.
We are very concerned about the danger to children from cars passing the school. Unfortunately the greatest danger is often from parents picking up and dropping off their children. Please observe the following:
- The speed limit past the school is 25kph ANYTIME there are children present on the footpaths
- Please note the position of the SCHOOL sign in Park Terrace and Moore Street. The school zone, where the limit applies, consists of the whole distance between the signs and the white zigzag lines
- Pick up and deliver your children in MOORE Street, away from the main bus traffic area (see map)
- The dirt track off Park Terrace has been remodelled to allow a low number of cars to park for a short term and has a dedicated “Kiss and Drop” area for parents flowing through to pick up or drop off children. Please observe the entrance/exit signs.
- Please DO NOT use the STAFF CARPARK to drop off and pick up UNLESS there are exceptional circumstances – e.g. medical /illness/emergency etc.
- We encourage you and your children to use pedestrian pathways and gates
- Traffic is usually particularly heavy between 8:30am & 9:00am and again 3:25 to 3:45pm
- Your child needs to know the road rules
Bike racks are provided for students who ride bikes to school. Class teachers decide where scooters and skateboards are kept during school hours.
Bushfire & Fire Policy
Fire can threaten the school and its students in 3 different ways:-
- A fire in the building, necessitating the evacuation of the building
- A fire in the immediate locality – threatening the school
- A bushfire in or near areas served by the school buses
There are 3 levels of alert:
- LEVEL ONE – a day of extreme fire danger in our district
- LEVEL TWO – A fire is approaching our school locality OR bus routes
- LEVEL THREE – A fire is threatening our school OR bus routes
Please refer to the Catastrophic Fire Ban information for actions that take place if a day of Catastrophic Fire Ban is declared the night before in our district.
If a Catastrophic Day is declared in the morning, the school will remain open and transport services will run as usual.
FIRE DRILLS are regularly conducted & assessed throughout the school year.
In the event of fires threatening a bus OR bus routes – any affected buses WILL NOT be permitted to leave the school until it is declared safe by the CFS.
Children will be kept at school and cared for by staff, volunteers and welfare services for as long as is necessary.
Children will be released only to their parents OR to other persons authorised, in writing, by the parents.
Out of School Hours Care (O.S.H.C)
This is conveniently located within the school grounds and is run by Sherpa Kids. Students aged from 5-12 Yrs. may go straight from school to be supervised from 3:25 to 6:00pm.
This service is also available during school holidays and on school closure days. For bookings and information please contact 0419 105 050 between 3pm and 6pm.